About Tai Chi
Tai chi is a martial art that combines health promotion and spiritual cultivation. The form involves slow, flowing, choreographed postures that help focus awareness on the body's alignment and energy (or "qi") flow. While it does require a moderate level of intensity, Tai Chi is low impact and can therefore be enjoyed by practitioners of most ages and fitness levels.
Developed over hundreds of years, the practice originated with the Chen family in China in the 1600s. Over the years, Tai Chi has been influenced by martial combat forms, meditation, Taoist philosophy, and Chinese medical theory.
Tai Chi BenefitsWhen practiced regularly, Tai Chi can help clients gain greater body awareness, optimize energy flow, and improve overall health. Specifically, research indicates that Tai Chi:
- Improves cardio-respiratory function
- Improves balance and postural control
- Improves flexibility and strength
- Decreases blood pressure and stress
Tai Chi is offered in sessions so that students can progress as a group. Please call the studio (919.361.0104) or send us an email for more information about upcoming sessions.
You can also visit the Floor Classes page.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is the Tai Chi Teacher at IOBT?
- I just want to try it out. Do I need to sign up for a full session?
- What should I wear to class?
- What should I bring to class?
- How much do your classes and sessions cost?
- I'd like to purchase some classes for a friend. Do you offer gift certificates?
- Where can I learn more about Tai Chi?
- Q: Who is the Tai Chi Teacher at IOBT?
- A: Jude Roman, Visit his website at : http://www.durhamncacupuncture.com/
- Q: I just want to try it out.
- A: Tai chi classes are ongoing. Please check IOBT's scheduling system for class details and updates. Mindbody Online Schedule System
- Beginners class is Tuesday night from 6:30 to 7:30pm
- Tai chi I * is Tuesday night from 7:30 to 8:30pm
- Q: What should I wear to class?
- A: Most students are comfortable in stretchy or loose pants or shorts and a tank or tee. Tai Chi is typically practiced in bare feet. You may want to bring a sweatshirt to layer over your top until your body has warmed up.
- Q: What should I bring to class?
- A: You need only bring yourself.
- Q: How much do your Tai Chi sessions cost?
- A: The cost of sessions varies depending on the length of the session, but classes are around $15 each. New clients receive 15% off their first class pass or can pay a $10 drop-in rate to their first class.
- Q: I'd like to purchase some classes for a friend. Do you offer gift certificates?
- A: Yes! We offer gift certificates in many denominations, attractively packaged and perfect for birthdays, new moms, holidays, and more. Call or stop by the studio to learn more.
- Q: Where can I learn more about Tai Chi?
- A: The following links are great resources: